Media and Cultural Analysis (MCA) at Texas A&M University is the brainchild of subject matter experts in Communications, International Affairs, Political Science, Intelligence, and Counter-Terrorism.
As the home of the Media Monitoring System (MMS) created by Raytheon BBN Technologies, experts are able to monitor live media in Arabic, Russian and Chinese from non-Western outlets via the Broadcast Monitoring System (BMS) and via the Web Monitoring System (WMS) that ingests content from 70+ preconfigured websites in Arabic, Chinese, Urdu, Farsi and Hindi. The system is currently configured to include Hebrew and Spanish.
The Texas A&M University College of Liberal Arts is partnered with professors at the George H.W. Bush School of Government and Public Service to provide comprehensive analysis of critical global issues informing U.S. federal agencies; students are trained to collect data, apply sound analytical methodology and appropriately interpret regional outcomes and its global impact.
Dr. Kluver is the Executive Director of Global Partnerships and Projects and an Associate Professor in Communications. He has been engaged in Project GO ROTC, a Department of Defense $2 million project specializing in language learning and study abroad programs. Dr. Kluver is a co-Principal Investigator on the CAMMI Project. Recently, he has mentored two graduate students, Patrick Issa and Jackie Chinn, who are Subject Matter Experts (SME) as a result of Media Analysis training with Dr. Kluver.
Dr. Balfour is the Director of Instructional Technology and Research Computing/Instructional Associate Professor in the College of Liberal Arts and the Principal Investigator on the CAMMI Project.
The CAMMI Project and Media Monitoring Systems (MMS) are supported by the Department of Defense in collaboration with the Corporation for National Research Initiatives and Raytheon BBN Technologies. The MMS is used by some of the following companies, departments and/or universities:
- Texas A&M University – Communications, Political Science and the Bush School of Government and Public Service
- Arizona State University – Center for Strategic Communication
- The University of Southern California – The Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
- The University of Southern California – the National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE)
- The University of Southern California – Price School of Public Policy
- The Naval Post Graduate School
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord
- Monitor 360
- NSI Team
- The University of Texas – Austin Slavic and Eurasian Studies
- The University of Texas – Arabic Flagship
- The University of Texas – Urdu and Farsi
- The University of Maryland – College Park Arabic and Persian Flagship
- The University of Mississippi – Chinese Flagship
- The University of Colorado – Boulder
- Wake Forest University
- Rice University
- Mississippi State University
- Texas Tech University
- University of North Texas
- University of Texas – San Antonio
- University of Houston
- Georgia State University
- Brunel University
- Appalachian State University
- Arizona State University
- Regent University
- The University of Oklahoma